| From August 30, 2012 |
I borrowed an idea from Pinterest (see? I do actually do some of the things I pin - granted, that % is preetty low). On the last day of school, we'll take another picture of him holding this 1st day of school picture so that we can see how much he has grown up this year. I wonder how long he'll humor me with this? One of my friend's girls just had a friend take a picture of her on her first day as a sophomore in college, so I have hope!
| From August 30, 2012 |
Jackson loves school and his teacher, Ms. Sara. After I picked him up the first day, he did not stop talking the entire way home. I heard everything he did - in 5 minute increments. It was great. And best of all, he asked me if he could go back again the next day, and forever and ever after that. When I asked him what his favorite part of kindergarten was, he said "Mom, I like the WORK! I wasn't finished, so when everyone else was playing, I finished my work. I liked it!" Their first assignment was to write "My first day of Kindergarten" and then draw a picture of themselves. I was totally surprised that they were having him write out a sentence on day 1! I'd hate to think what he would have done if he had stayed at home with me all these years. I just keep thinking there's no way that he's ready to do this yet!
| From August 30, 2012 |
Jackson got his first homework today. He had to draw a picture of himself and write in his favorite things. I was very proud when he told me that he wanted to be a scientist when he grows up. And then he elaborated and said he wanted to be a scientist like Tony Stark (Iron Man). I love how he is convinced that he is going to be Iron Man someday (as well as on Halloween again this year).
| From August 30, 2012 |
Tonight was Back to School night, and we got to meet his teacher. I really like Ms. Sara. She sends us weekly emails about what they are working on and learning. He is going to have so much fun this year. This week's project is learning all about each other in the classrooom. Each student wrote what they like to do and then drew a picture about it. Jackson wrote "I like to stay at home" and then drew a picture of his family and our house. When I asked him more about it, he said he liked to stay at home because he liked spending time with mommy and daddy and doing things together as a family. I got teary eyed at that one!!
Speaking of houses, Ms. Sara asked if we were getting a new house because Jackson talks about it (and draws it) all the time. He keeps telling us he's so excited. Today he even asked if I wanted to go look at some houses! Tom had a great idea about our house notebook. He had Jackson draw a picture of our new house for the cover of it. Now, even if we are stressed or in a bad mood about the house, one glance at the picture just makes us smile, and it all gets better. We are getting really close to being ready to break ground. Floor plans are finalized, lot has been picked out, and we're almost finished with the specs. Should be ready to break ground in the next few weeks! Pray for rain. Our builder (knowing our focus on getting a good foundation) recommended that we wait to break ground until we had some significant moisture so that the ground didn't suck all of the water out of the cement. We really appreciate that he's thinking of that for us!
I'm going to try to be better about updating this weekly. Jackson shares so much fun stuff about kindergarten that I really want to remember for later. Hopefully we'll also have a weekly picture of our house progress so you can follow along on our adventure! Tom and I both have found the process so far to be a lot more fun and less stressful than expected. I hope we continue that trend!
Between all of Tom's travels and mine, we've tried really hard to make sure that we make those times that one of us is gone is still fun and memorable. I still remember loving our tradition to go to Western Sizzlin and eat in the living room watching Entertainment Tonight when dad was gone! That felt like such a treat that it always made dad being gone seem better. I hope Jackson has fun memories of this as well. Last week, Jackson and I had an indoor campout. We had plans to play Operation in our indoor tent/fort, eat marshmallows and use flashlights. He was so excited that he told his teachers all about it and even drew a picture. He said we needed a campfire for our campout.
| From August 30, 2012 |
Jackson is the boy on the left, and he's holding a flashlight. He apologized that I looked kind of mad in the picture, but I really was happy and excited. And the part I love most is what he wrote (completely on his own). I figured out the first line but had to have help with the 2nd line. It says "I'm so excited to play Operation. Jackson"
| From August 30, 2012 |
Have a great Labor Day weekend!






Oh my gosh. He is the cutest! Such a sweet and smart boy. That picture of him playing operation is great-such joy on his face!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear more about the house! Love you!
Johnnie
They grow up too fast. I LOVE the picture he drew of you, I've kept some that the kids have drawn of me and they crack me up when I go back and look at them. Looks like you guys are doing great!
ReplyDelete