January 2, 2012

Prepping for Christmas

We felt off kilter all month, likely due to the Disney trip. We were so tired, yet seemed to be so rushed that everything seemed to feel like another task on a checklist. As a result, it took us over 5 days to get all of the Christmas decorations up this year, and I normally love to do this so much I get a head start by Thanksgiving! Hopefully we'll be in a new house by Christmas next year, and we'll decorate well in advance!

We had our annual Christmas Tree decorating party complete with sausage, cheese and crackers and fancy glasses filled with sparkling grape juice.


I love seeing each of the ornaments again each year. Such great memories! Since we're starting to get so many more ornaments each year (or just getting old, I'm not sure which!), I decided it was time to start a document that told the story behind each ornament. As I was taking the pictures for all of the ornaments, I realized we have a lot of ornaments (and a lot of memories) on our tree. Thanks again, Mom, for taking the time, creativity and effort to make these for us. We love them.

Sister Elf finally showed up in mid-December after we decorated the tree. Jackson loved finding Sister Elf - it was the first thing he asked to do each morning. Sister Elf was definitely a bit more mischievous this year. Wish Sister Elf had made his appearance earlier in December - it was a lot of fun this year!

His first stop was in the Nativity to celebrate Jesus' birth.

Sister Elf really missed the snow and decided to have a little snowball fight with Frosting (as Jackson calls him):

Mac came over to babysit Jackson one night, and she took him to Cracker Barrel. He somehow persuaded her to buy him a mini-violin to play with; Mac definitely spoils him! That's just one of the reasons why he loves her. :) The next morning, Sister Elf was playing the violin. Jackson got really upset because he wanted to play with the violin! Since no one is able to touch Sister Elf, Jackson would have to wait until Sister Elf moved. Sister Elf saw how upset Jackson was and decided to move while Jackson was at school. This time he got into the Tinker Toys:

Sister Elf loves hanging around:

Jackson loves the Polar Express; it's one of his favorite movies. Sister Elf decided to bring out the real Polar Express book to read to the Toy Story gang. Scart wanted in on the action, too. My grandma gave me this book when I was in elementary school; it is such a great book with beautiful drawings in it. I'll always treasure that book.

We've been trying to get Jackson to eat more at dinner, especially more veggies. One day we made the mistake of saying that Sister Elf was watching and that Jackson needed to eat his vegetables. Jackson immediately started bawling, saying that Santa wouldn't come and bring presents because he wasn't eating his veggies. I quickly saw my mistake and changed my reasoning as to why he needed to eat his veggies - to grow big and strong....and he eventually ate them. Sister Elf decided Jackson needed a little reminder as to what we really need to remember and celebrate about Christmas.


Sister Elf was really mischievous on the morning that the McGillen's were going to arrive for our family Christmas:

The morning of the McGillen Christmas, Sister Elf wanted to watch all of the action. We were really sad to see Sister Elf leave.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment