Busy couple of weeks! Jackson's imagination is full steam ahead, so we're never too sure what is going to walk out of his room!
While Tom was busy at an evening concert and weekend classes (only 1 more class left!), Jackson and I spent some time in Stillwater. On Saturday morning, Jackson and Papa were busy playing with Buzz Lightyear when Papa had the great idea to build Buzz a parachute. I was quite impressed with the contraption they built! Styrafoam and pipe cleaners - there's nothing you can't do with it! Jackson had a blast watching Buzz Lightyear fly through the air.
After several trips down the stairs, Buzz Lightyear needed more room to fly. Papa took Jackson up on the new deck to try out the parachute outside. It was so fun to watch both of them playing together!
Jackson loves playing with Reese. Every once in a while, they'll call each other up on the phone. My heart melts when I hear them talk to each other. Jackson was so happy when he learned that we were spending the day with Reese. He also was excited about going to a basketball game. I don't know that he got the concept though, because he kept telling people that he was going to go play basketball with his Papa and Pamma....mommy was just going to watch. It was kind of sad going to the basketball game, though. The crowd was so different! You can tell by all of the empty seats just how different it is from when we went to school there. Fortunately though, it was much easier to get 6 seats together!
Had another "good mom" moment this week - actually a couple!
1. Jackson's first question when I go to pick him up at school is "do you have a treat for me?" Usually I don't....after all, they're treats! But on this day he told Ms. Angelique that I didn't have a treat for him, so she proceeds to give him some snacks from their snack drawer to eat in the car. As we go through the halls, he tells everyone passing by that mommy didn't have a treat for him but Ms. Angelique gave him fruit snacks. Mommy fail.
2. Another day when picking him up (sensing a trend here....my best parenting skills show up at daycare), my shoes were REALLY hurting me. I could barely walk down the stairs back to our car, much less go the dark way (and go twice as far). So at the top of the stairs, I decided Jackson and I would have a race (and really, it was quite a fair race!). He would go the dark way, I would go down the stairs and we'd see who wins. He thought that was a great idea and off he went...or so I thought. I made it down the stairs and was looking for him. One of the other afternoon teachers said that Jackson was at the top of the stairs looking for me. Oops. That idea backfired. I walked back up and he was walking back down, pouting because I didn't let him go the dark way. He cheered up when I said he could still go and that I would wait for him at the bottom. He got excited and took off. Another child walking by when I was waiting said "I wonder where Jackson's mom was..." Oops. Mommy fail again. (And for the record, Jackson made it back down just fine on his own. In fact, he asks to do it pretty much every day now.)
3. Another afternoon when I picked him up, one of the teachers told me that Jackson had been scratching or pinching the other boys at school. The teachers seemed just as shocked as I was - Jackson is a good kid and he doesn't do things like that! I eventually got most of the story in the car on the way home. Apparently they were playing superheroes and bad guys. Jackson was a superhero getting a bad guy....and got a little too into the role. We had a very long talk about how we treat other people. Jackson felt really bad about it and was sad. He kept saying "I want to go home." On the bright side, he learned another technique to handle a situation when others are doing things that aren't nice. The next morning when I quizzed him what to do when someone is chasing or hitting him, he quickly replied, "I say No, I don't like that. And then WALK AWAY! And go near a teacher." When I picked him up, the first thing he told me was how he told Cort "No, I don't like that!" and then walked away when Cort was chasing him. I was proud of him. He definitely learned something from that experience!
I think the picture of Jackson checking Tom's reflexes is the cutest thing I have ever seen. Love Tom's expression! You got some great pictures this month...it really was a busy couple of weeks. Keep those 'mommy fail' updates coming...they always make me laugh! You and Tom are great parents. Jackson is a joy. I love it when he tells me secrets!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your "mommy fail" moments...we all have them and it's good that we share them (no one is perfect and the stories are so funny!). You are hilarious! Thanks for sharing all these great stories and pictures. What a keepsake!
ReplyDelete