October 25, 2009

Pumpkin Patches, Parades, Parks, and Pottytime!

This week is sponsored by the letter "P".

While Tom was in St Louis at the band contest, Jackson and I went to Stillwater to go to the pumpkin patch and the OSU Homecoming Parade with Gramma, Papa, Johnnie and Reese. We all went to the Grider Farm in Perkins. I don't know how many times I've driven to Perkins in my life, but I still don't know how to get there! I was glad I was riding with Dad. I didn't realize the farm would a true farm (without the animals). In my mind, a pumpkin patch was simply a place with pumpkins placed all over cleverly placed hay bales. This was a learning experience for both of us!
We ended up "off-roading" it to get to the pumpkin field. We were a little early in the season, so they pumpkins were all green. Jackson kept trying to pick up the big ones, but said they were all too heavy.
We also got to pick gourds in the same field. Gramma liked all of the warty ones. Papa scared us all using the green snake-like gourd to sneak up behind Gramma's shoulder. Jackson liked carrying the gourds for Gramma and showing them to Reese (especially the green snake-like one).
We stashed all of our gourds while we were in the field so that we wouldn't have to carry them one at a time to our car. Before we left, we wanted to get a picture with Jackson with his gourds. He'd been so used to us sitting him on top of the pumpkins for pictures, so when we said we wanted to get his picture with his gourds, he knew just what to do - he sat right on top of them!
After we got all of our gourds, we went back up to the main house for the pumpkins. They had some really cool pumpkins in faded colors of orange, amber, gold, and green. Jackson and Reese enjoyed riding around in the metal wagon. Here are Jackson and Reese sitting in a sea of pumpkins!


After the pumpkin patch, we went to the OSU Homecoming Parade. I was wondering if we'd find a place where we could actually see - there were so many people there, and we were arriving just before the parade was to start. We ended up right behind the cameras. We got there just as the parade started - just in time to see Garth as one of the Grand Marshals!
As you can see in this video, Jackson loved the bands playing! We have to play these videos over and over at home. Jackson loves clapping along, and he's actually learning (slowly) how to spell Oklahoma in the fight song. I think Oklahoma (State) will be his first word that he learns to spell. No cat or dog here!

Mom was brave and ended up finding the kids a place for us to sit at the curb. Jackson loved waving the flag that he got at the parade. He also was given quite a few pieces of candy...I think he likes parades! Reese was good throughout the parade, too.

After the parade, we went to go get frozen yogurt at Orange Tree - that is the coolest place, and it was so yummy! Jackson really liked the music. We'll be going there again.

After our sugar rush, we went to Hastings (to pick up another toy horse and Thomas the train) and then on to the park. Stillwater has the best park. Jackson loves to climb the "mountain". He totally scares me at the top when he lets go and climbs the rest of the way with no hands, but he sure seems to like it!

I think Reese had fun, too, swinging on the swings. You're such a pretty little girl!

After about an hour, it was time to go. Reese was walking with Papa, and Jackson decided he didn't want to be left out. He grabbed Gramma's hand, and then started walking like Reese! We had a great day - thank you!
On Friday, we had another first - Jackson used the potty! I morphed into Kate Gosselin for a moment and had to take his picture immediately....and forgot to empty it out first. Needless to say, I won't be showing that one, except to blackmail him later! Afterwards, he kept saying "I did it!" and I kept telling him how proud of him I was. We ended up making several calls to tell the great news. Potty-training is just around the corner! I just want to know one thing - how are you supposed to clean that thing? I'm afraid this time in his life is going to be just like baby food - extremely messy! We're proud of you Jackson.

2 comments:

  1. Perfectly precious pumpkin, parade & playground photos! What a great day! But I couldn't see the videos that were on You Tube. Said it was a private message..can you help an old granny figure this out? PPPPPPlease!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! We can see most of the videos now! The only one we could not see is the playground mountain climbing.

    ReplyDelete